If you've been following our story you know that Spencer was a late term preemie and made his arrival into the world at 35 weeks. I was concerned that our next pregnancy would be considered high risk and shots would be involved. But, a month before we found out we were expecting I had a conversation with my ObGyn and she decided she wasn't considering me high risk because my bag of water had started leaking and she had to force me into labor, I did not go into labor on my own. I was relieved! We had our first appointment in July and for some reason some of the dates weren't adding up for me so the nurse ordered an ultrasound to double check the due date (originally March 3, 2017) and to our surprise we were about 11 days further in the pregnancy than we thought, the new due date became February 23, 2017. In August we had our first official appointment with a doctor, we finally got to hear the heartbeat (170 bpm). We didn't see the doctor who delivered Spencer as the practice I go to has 9 doctors and every patient is encouraged to meet all the doctors. I had met this doctor once before during my pregnancy with Spencer. But, what she had in store for me this time is something I never expected.
This doctor was hell bent on this pregnancy being considered high risk and me receiving progesterone shots once a week for 20 weeks. As I sat there on the table in a cold room my heart sunk. I explained to her what my primary doctor and I had talked about but, she still encouraged me to research the shots and make a decision. They were literally leaving this decision up to me and I was more confused than ever. One doctor telling me I'm not high risk and no shots, the next telling me I should be considered high risk and it will involve shots. ( you know me and needles...) I left the office upset that I wasn't getting more guidance and it wasn't sitting well with me, so that afternoon I called the nurses line, requested my primary doctor go over my records again and asked her to send me some literature on the progesterone shots. As I started my research the first thing that came up was how expensive they are and that there's no generic version. There's an actual Makena (name of shot) hotline you can call to get financial help, because who can afford a shot that costs $1,000 twenty times, no parent with young children.
I continued my research and only found adverse reactions to the mom, nothing to the baby so that was comforting. A couple days later the nurse finally called back and had spoken with my primary doctor and the doctor I had seen at my last appointment. The two of them together decided that because I was already dilated to a 3 when I arrived in triage that it's possible had they not forced me into labor I would have gone into labor on my own, because of that both doctors agreed the shots were my best "shot"' for a full term baby. At this point I was okay with the shots, I would do anything for my children and if that meant a shot per week for 20 weeks, then albeit.
Next, we had to check on insurance coverage. Luckily, the shots will only cost me $3 a month, just a small prescription fee. I was so happy with this news, because a huge out of pocket amount would have probably changed our minds. So, here it is... A high risk pregnancy with 20 shots. Some people say I'm changing God's plan, but I can't bare to think about having another early baby and it turning out much worse then Spencer's situation. We were so happy he was so healthy and ecstatic he came home with us right away. But, what if that doesn't happen the second time around. I just can't imagine having to go through it again. This plan for progesterone shots is a safe and healthy way to have a full term baby and I am at peace with this plan. My first shot will be on 9/13/16 and once a week for 20 weeks after that (last shot will be at 36+5 weeks).
Here we are 14+4 weeks pregnant and we are so excited to bring another life into this world. Morning sickness is subsiding, I am still completely exhausted most days and I have acne like a 14 year old boy. But, all of this is worth it to see that tiny human being at the end. We will soon find out the gender, which is by far the best part about being pregnant. We aren't sure yet if we will reveal to the world what we're having, oh who am I kidding, I can't keep that secret. Though you all may know if it's a girl or boy you probably won't know the name because we can't agree on any names. This baby may remain nameless until his or her birthday, which I am told is common and not to stress about it. But, naming a kid is the hardest thing...
I apologize for the long absence, but the first trimester was very hard on me and I just didn't have it in me. But, I'm back so expect tons of baby updates. And cheers to February making a quick appearance.
for more daily posts you can follow me on Instagram @campbellchaos